Justice For My Son
Beginning of My Story
I was taken for custody of my son when he was five.
Before that the father would come to my house for a few hours, but not truly interact with my son. Nor would he even try to financially support him.
He was very controlling and abusive towards me, and I could not handle anymore.
He had children that did not know about my son until he was four. I tried to be civil about the situation.
At five he took me in for a paternity test.
I tried to refuse based on age and not financially supporting the child, domestic relations told me it did not matter and granted the DNA test.
Middle of My Story
Once the DNA test was granted and he was found to be the father, I took him for child support only to find out that the job he said he had was a lie and he was on disability. The court granted him hourly visitation at first, then we had our first mediation. I did not agree with the visitation, but my legal aid attorney stated I had to agree or would look spiteful. So then overnights were granted and my son was only use to one home.
This was in November. Even though I did not agree, I tried to make the best of a bad situation because I also found out he was married and had a wife.
The custody arrangement seemed to be going smoothly.
My son was showing some behavioral problems, but thought it was because of the transition. I was wrong though because in January, my son came out with sexual abuse allegations.
My world crumbled and then my CYS journey began. He told the worker from Washington county sexual abuse allegations, but it happened in Allegheny county and they found it unsubstantiated. They stated that the child did not disclose enough in the forensic interview and to take him to STARS.
I started taking him to therapist who made several child line reports and stated he was abused. Same thing happened Washington said there were sexual abuse allegations and Allegheny due to forensic interview found it unsubstantiated.
I tried to reason with the courts stating my son would not make this up, but they did not listen and still let the father have visitation.
I went into contempt to protect my son and was sanctioned.
End of My Story
During the final custody trial, none of my witnesses were heard regarding the sexual abuse. Not even the therapist. The conference officer, stated that the therapist is a mandated reporter and she did her job by calling CYS.
From the beginning of the trial the conference officer stated that I should settle for 50/50 because going through with the trial might alter my custody in a more negative manner. Several times during the trial the same thing was said, but kind of mother would I be if I did not fight.
After the trial, the final custody trial recommended order was joint 50/50 dated April 2nd. I never received the order, but the father did. The order I finally received was not stamped by the photostat department. I have filed a trial de novo to try to contest.
- January 6th CYS call about sexual abuse allegations.
- Forensic interview done January 28th 2019, not enough evidence. Julia fana stated could be construed as rough bath time.
- February 26th 2019 first appointment with STARS.
- February 28th unsubstantiated case through Allegheny county CYS.
- June 30th sexual abuse allegations
- July 18th forensic interview allegations made but not enough
- August 2019 unsubstantiated by CYS
- Therapist through SPHS care center states sexual abuse Washington PA
- November 2 2020 and January 4th 2020 final custody hearing.
- Other sides attorney in August of 2019 construed the forensic paper work and asked the father if he had a pool because it stated my son made the disclosure after getting out of the pool at my house. He also stated I called CYS when my son was seen at Mon valley hospital who contacted CYS.